Today's project was to refinish/apholster a small bench I found for $5 at the Goodwill in Cherrydale. (Yes, this means that I have pillaged more than one GW in the area in search of "treasure.") It was covered in this hideous ivory quilted material and smelled like a pack of ciggies, but I fell instantly in love.
Mom and Dad visited for my birthday yesterday, and brought me their staple gun so that I could get started. Mom helped me pull out all the staples that were in it, and this is what we found underneath: Eww! Ugly green vinyl (that still smelled terrible!)
My idea was to refinish the bench to go in Gracie's room, so Mom also brought up some scrap fabric we had left over after finishing G's nursery a couple years ago. I found her crib bedding super-cheap at a PBKids clearance ,and so I bought a matching full/queen duvet cover to make basket liners. (If I had realized then that her first real bed would be a full, I wouldn't have cut the duvet cover up. Natch!) Anyways, Mom brought enough fabric with her to refinish the bench and make new curtains for the nursery (assuming this baby is a girl). The fabrics I had to choose from were a pink "french country" floral, and a pink stripe. I chose to go with the stripe since her new "big girl bed" comforter mimics the floral pattern.
I love it! It turned out MUCH better than I thought it would and it looks adorable with her stuffed animals lined up on top.
Clearly, I am meant to redo and not reorganize :o)Next up: sanding and repainting picture frames, a shelf, and a fireplace screen!
Featured on: A Soft Place To Land's DIY Day



6 comments:
Kelli!! This looks amazing! You did a great job! Can't wait to see your cute house. I almost called you this weekend bc my mom and sister wanted to see it (it's been years since we have been in it)-but I didn't want to bother you on your bday!! So maybe if you are not having the baby early - Oct 24th weekend?
It looks adorable! Great job...
Alyssa
lifeoflyssie.com
This is so cute! Well done nesting Momma!
VERY pretty! I love it :)
Oh my goodness... it turned out wonderful! Don't you wish you could hold onto that nesting instinct after birth? I would get so much more done!
To answer your question, the cookie sheet was from Ikea (I think), but it doesn't fit the play oven... or at least you can't close the oven door all the way. It's never stopped my daughter from baking up a batch, though. :)
Hi!! I miss you, too! You certainly got out at a great time though... Palmetto's Finest is visiting at the end of Nov. Oh joy.
I'm looking forward to some pictures real soon of that wonderful mystery you guys are about to have! Take care!
Post a Comment